Cryolophosaurus is the first meat-eating dinosaur to be discovered on the frozen continent of Antarctica. It was an odd looking dinosaur, fairly large for such an early hunter.
Cryolophosaurus had a large, deep skull similar to that of Allosaurus but with a most unusual crest that curved forward and was flattened front-to-back and being broad from side to side. The crest was likened to the hair of Elvis Presley and earned Cryolophosaurus the nickname of “Elvisaurus”.
- Pronounced: cry-o-LOF-o-SAWR-us
- Means: Frozen-crested lizard
- Where: Antarctica
- When: Early Jurassic
- Diet: Carnivorous (prosauropods)
- Size of Adult: 26 ft (8 m) long
- Size of Animatronic Model: 21 ft (6.41 m), H 6 ft 10 in (2.09 m)*
* includes height of steel base