Parasaurolophus is a popular hadrosaurid distinguished by its hollow head crest.
The crest is believed to have functioned as a resonating chamber to produce a distinctive call useful for social interactions and herding behavior.
- Pronounced: parah-sore-owe-loaf-uss
- Means: Beside Saurolophus
- Where: North America (Alberta, New Mexico, Utah)
- When: Late Cretaceous
- Diet: Herbivorous
- Size of Adult: 30 ft (9 m) long
- Size of Animatronic Model: L 16 ft 2 in (4.93 m), H 8 ft (2.44 m)*
* includes height of steel base