Megalosaurus was the first dinosaur to be studied scientifically and named in 1824.
It was also notable for having one of the world’s first literary dino references in a Charles Dickens novel published in the 1850s.
- Pronounced: MEG-uh-lo-SAWR-us
- Means: Big lizard
- Where: England
- When: Middle Jurassic/Early Cretaceous
- Diet: Carnivorous (other dinosaurs)
- Size of Adult: 23-26 ft (7-8 m) long
- Size of Animatronic Model: L 20 ft 3 in (6.18 m), H 7 ft 2 in (2.19 m)*
* includes height of steel base